The Importance of push notification in ecommerce
Our readers and publishers are very intrigued by our previous articles on push traffic – the comparison between the different price models and push notifications and Amazon Associates.
For this reason, today we will continue with the topic, as the subject of discussion will be e-commerce sites and push notifications
What is an e-commerce shop?
An e-commerce shop is a platform for selling products or services online.
An E-commerce website can be created using various technologies such as web applications, mobile applications, and progressive web applications.
What are the different types of push notifications used in e-commerce shops?
There are several types of push notifications that are commonly used in e-commerce:
- Transactional notifications: These notifications inform customers about the status of their order, such as order confirmation, shipment tracking, and delivery updates.
- Abandoned cart notifications: they remind customers of items they have left in their shopping cart and encourage them to complete the purchase.
- Sales and promotions notifications: Advertisers can use these notifications to inform their visitors of sales, discounts, and other promotions.
- Product recommendations notifications: These notifications suggest products that customers may be interested in based on their browsing and purchase history.
- Re-engagement notifications: They are sent to visitors who haven't made a purchase or engaged with the e-commerce shop in a while, with the goal of re-engaging them and encouraging them to return.
- Feedback and review notifications: These notifications prompt customers to leave feedback or reviews on products they have purchased, which can help improve the overall customer experience and increase sales.
Why should you use push notifications on your e-commerce site?
Push notifications can be a valuable tool for e-commerce sites for several reasons:
- Increased engagement: Push notifications can increase customer engagement by reminding them of sales, promotions, and new products, and can also keep them updated on their order status.
- Enhanced customer experience: Push notifications can help improve the overall customer experience by giving customers real-time updates on orders and making product recommendations.
- Increased sales: Abandoned cart notifications, sales and promotions notifications, and personalized product recommendations can all help drive sales and increase conversions.
- Re-engagement: Customers who haven't made a purchase in a while can be re-engaged by using push notifications. This will encourage them to return to the e-commerce site.
- Better customer insights: With push notifications, e-commerce sites can get valuable information about customer behavior and preferences. This information can be used to improve marketing strategies and increase sales.
Push notifications can make a big difference to an e-commerce site's engagement and revenue, making them a valuable tool for e-commerce shops.
Push notifications to attract a potential customer again
Before we answer that question, let's explain what cart abandonment is exactly and what are the main reasons for it.
A customer adding items to their online shopping cart and then leaving the site without completing the purchase is called cart abandonment.
There are many reasons why customers may change their minds, such as unexpected shipping costs, slow website load times, or simply a change of mind.
The issue of cart abandonment results in lost sales and decreased revenue for the e-commerce industry.
There are several reasons why customers abandon their carts in e-commerce:
- High shipping costs or lack of free shipping options: Customers may abandon their cart if they are not satisfied with the shipping costs or if free shipping is not offered.
- If the checkout process is too long or complicated, customers may abandon their cart, which could cause frustration and inconvenience.
- If clients encounter unexpected fees during the checkout process, such as hidden taxes or processing fees, they may abandon their cart.
- Technical difficulties, such as slow website performance or errors during the checkout process, can also lead visitors to abandon their cart.
- Buyers' concerns about the security of their personal information or the reliability of the brand or website may cause them to abandon their cart.
- Shoppers may also abandon their carts if they decide to compare prices or simply change their minds about the purchase.
Push Notifications as a Cart Abandonment Solution
Push notifications are an effective solution for cart abandonment in e-commerce. It is possible to use them to remind customers of items they have left in their shopping cart and encourage them to complete the purchase. Depending on the customer's browsing and purchase history, these notifications can be personalized and targeted, making them more relevant and effective.
E-commerce companies can increase sales by sending timely and relevant push notifications.
Push notifications can also help e-shop owners improve their marketing strategies and customer experience.
Are there arguments against push notifications on e-commerce sites?
While push notifications can be a useful tool for e-commerce sites, there are also several arguments against their use:
- Privacy concerns: Some clients may be wary of receiving push notifications, especially if they feel that their privacy is being invaded.
- Overwhelming frequency: If push notifications are sent too frequently or are not relevant to the user, they can become annoying and may even lead to customers opting out of receiving them altogether.
- Push notifications may not be relevant to the customer and could be seen as spam if they are not targeted correctly.
E-commerce shops should consider these potential drawbacks when deciding whether to use push notifications.
Push notifications should be used in a way that is respectful of shoppers' privacy and time, and should only send notifications that are relevant and valuable to the customer.
How to structure push notification messages properly for an e-commerce site?
To appropriately design push notifications for an e-commerce site, consider the following:
- Make sure the push notification is relevant to the customer, such as reminding them of items left in their shopping cart or promoting a sale on items they have already shown interest in.
- Personalization, make the push notification more personal by adding the customer's name or other information.
- A clear call to action should be included in the push notification, such as “Complete your purchase now” or “Shop our sale”.
- Use concise, understandable language in the push notification. Avoid using industry jargon or overly complicated language.
- It is important to consider the timing of the push notification, as sending it at the right time can increase its effectiveness.
Example: A reminder about items left in their cart before they make purchases or sending a notification about a sale during a busy shopping period can be effective.
What is the Importance of timing when you are sending push notifications to the clients of my e-commerce site?
Timing is crucial when sending push notifications to clients of an e-commerce site because it can greatly impact the effectiveness of the notification.
- Push notifications can be sent at times when the customer is most likely to engage with them, such as during periods of high shopping activity. This will increase the chances that customers will act.
- Avoid sending too many push notifications: Sending too many push notifications can make shoppers tired and may even make them stop receiving them. Finding a balance and sending notifications at the right frequency is essential.
- Urgency: Promote a limited-time sale by sending a push notification when your users are most likely to buy.
- Push notifications are sent at times when people are most likely to be engaged with their devices, which increases the chances that they will interact with the notification and make a purchase.
In conclusion, push notifications can be a valuable tool for e-commerce sites when used correctly.
By sending relevant, personalized, and timely notifications to customers, e-commerce shops can increase engagement, drive sales, and improve customer experience.
It is important to strike a balance between using push notifications efficiently and not overwhelming users. If push notifications are sent too often or aren't relevant, they can be seen as annoying and may make customers opt-out.
It is therefore appropriate to use push notifications on an e-commerce site when they are properly structured, targeted, and timed.
E-commerce companies can make informed decisions about how to use push notifications in a way that adds value for customers and drives profitable results by understanding the benefits and drawbacks.